Master the 7 pillars of school success
Improve your grades and lower your stress
Fraction Calculator - 5th Grade Math
Adding and subtracting fractions calculator
Multiplying fractions calculator
Dividing fractions calculator
Review of Fractions
The video covers step by step directions for adding fractions
How to add fractions
1. If the denominators are the same add the top numbers (numerator) and place this number over the common denominator and simplify.
2. If the denominators are different,then
find the least common denominator (which is the least common multiple of the denominators)
3. Multiply each denominator by a missing factor to get the least common denominator for each fraction.
4. Multiply the numerator by the number from step 3 and place this number over the least common multiple.
5. Add the numerators of the two fractions and place this over the least common multiple.
6. Simplify the fraction.
Theses two videos cover how to multiply fractions with step by step directions and example problems.
How to multiply fractions
Step 1. Multiply the numerators
Step 2. Multiply the denominators
Step 3. Simplify the fraction
Subtracting fractions is just like adding fractions but you subtract the numerators instead of adding them
1. Make sure the denominators are the same. If the are not, find the least common multiple and multiply each fraction by the missing factors to create common denominators.
2. Subtract the numerators and place this number over the common denominator
3. Simplify if possible.
How to divide fractions
Step 1. Create a reciprocal of the second fraction by flipping the fraction upside down
Reciprocal of 1/2 = 2/1 Reciprocal of 3/4 = 4/3
Step 2. Multiply the first fraction by the reciprocal of the second term
Step 3. Simplify the fraction if possible
Animation for dividing fractions, how to divide 1/2÷1/6
Use this fraction calculator to help check your work.
This is an all in one fraction calculator and includes all of the following:
Common Core Standard: 5NF.A.1 5th Grade Math