Master the 7 pillars of school success that I have learned from 25 years of teaching.
Improve your grades and lower your stress
Facts about the mighty mitochondria-the powerhouse of the cell.
- The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell because it produces energy in the form of ATP for cells.
- Plant and animal cells contain mitochondria, but bacteria cells do not contain mitochondria.
- Mitochondria are found floating in the cytoplasm of the cell.
- Cells that require large amounts of energy like muscle cells will have large amounts of mitochondria.
- A mitochondria has two layers and is folded on the inside.
- The mitochondria can reproduce by growing larger and then dividing, if the cell needs more energy.
- Regular exercise will increase the number of mitochondria a cell contains.
- Mitochondria have their own DNA and ribosomes.
- Mitochondria produce energy in a process called cellular respiration. It takes oxygen and sugar and makes carbon dioxide water and ATP.
The Mighty Mitochondria