Master the 7 pillars of school success
Improve your grades and lower your stress
What are ribosomes?
- Ribosomes are small protein factories found in cells.
- They are located in the cytoplasm and on the rough ER.
- Ribosomes look like small dots on the ER and in the cytoplasm.
How does a ribosome make a protein?
- mRNA that has been created at the nucleus and travels to the ribosome.
- tRNA travels to the mRNA and reads it in triplets called codons.
- The tRNA has an amino acid on one end.
- The tRNA reads the mRNA and strings the amino acids together in the correct order.
Ribosomes are found in plant,animal, and bacterial cells.
Why is protein important?
- Protein is used for many functions in the cell.
- Proteins are used as building blocks and structure suppor. Your skin, and tendons are made up of protein.
- Some proteins help with digestion.
Proteins help with muscle contraction, and carry oxygen around the body.
These tiny organelles play a very important in helping organisms stay alive.
Characteristics Living Things
The Protein Factories-Ribosomes