Master the 7 pillars of school success
Improve your grades and lower your stress
Study Skills Assessment
For the questions below honestly score yourself
1. I have a set time each day when I study. 2. I prepare a “to do” list each day. 3. My school work comes before my social events. 4. I begin major assignments in advance. 5. I prepare for tests by learning a small amount for several days in advance, instead of one long study session the night before an assessment. Total
1. I have a system for reminding me of tasks I must complete. 2. My notebooks are neat and organized. 3. I summarize my notes. 4. I do quick reviews of my notes often. 5. I use flashcards when studying vocabulary or a large number of topics. Total
1. I have a space dedicated to quiet study. 2. My study space is free from distractions, i.e., noise, phones, TV, etc. 3. My cell phone is turned off while I study. 4. I have all my supplies, notebooks, computer, and books all within reach at my study space. 5. I use my study space consistently. Total
1. I carefully read and follow exam questions and all directions.
2. If I don’t understand a question I move on and not waste time trying to find a solution. 3. I go back and check my work after finishing my test. 4. I prepare in advance for all of my tests, exams, or quizzes.
5. When preparing for a test or exam I try to find out what the exam will cover.
1. I try to make good grades for myself and not just to please others. 2. I try to sit near the front of the class if possible. 3. I look at the instructor when he/she is speaking to the class. 4 I complete my assignments before class. 5. I don’t text or check email, Instagram or Facebook during class. Total
1. I keep a calendar for my school activities, tests, projects, and meetings. 2. I remember to turn in all assignments. 3. I have a system that reminds me to turn in assignments. (phone, agenda, calendar, etc.) 4 My notebooks are divided into sections and kept orderly. 5. I arrive to class with all of my supplies consistently.
Now let's look for areas of strengths and weakness.
Any area that you scored a 17 or below this is an area of weakness.
Any area that you score a 20 or above is a area of strength.
You will get the most improvement by focusing on areas of weakness and trying to improve these area.
Use this study skills assessment to evaluate your study habits. Assess yourself in each category. Any category that receives 17 points or less indicates an area of weakness.